First weeks in Murcia!

Flying over Valencia
It has been two weeks since I have started my EVS experience in Murcia at the organization Atentión a la Diversidad y Voluntariado (ADYV). This organization is part of the University of Murcia, and exists of two different parts. One of them is a center for voluntary work, that I have not yet experienced much from. In a while, I will be volunteering in one of the projects associated myself, and I am already very excited about that! The other part of ADYV functions as a centre that supports students with disability with their education. They can, for example, provide for electronic devices or software to make visual impaired students able to use the online university facilities. They also play a very important role in mediation between students and their professors. At the moment, the office for disability is where I spend most of my working time!

When I arrived at the airport I was happy to see two of my colleagues standing at the gate with a big ¨Welcome to Murcia Iris!¨ sign. They first took me to visit the apartment and meet my roommate, who is Spanish and therefore functions as an excellent guide! Then we went to the university, and on the way there I was already impressed by all the palm and orange trees! Being from The Netherlands, I only pictured those at a beach, maybe an orchard, but definitely not alongside the street! The university itself was also quite impressive to me, being built in the hills and therefore with some nice views! In my first week I learned that the office where I work is nicknamed ¨Mordor¨ because it is situated so high. I find myself hiking up to it every day from the bus stop, happy that this sports activity will allow me to eat more delicious tapas!

Arrival at the airport

After my busy introduction week with lunch, tourist visits to the centre and ¨fiestas¨, I somewhat found my rhythm. Every weekday I work from 9 to 2, and then go home for lunch. After lunch, I sometimes go for a coffee in the city centre with someone I´ve met (because meeting new people here goes very fast), or walk around to look at the beautiful architecture in the centre. Soon, my afternoons will also be filled with Spanish classes and hopefully also flamenco dance classes!


Next Saturday, me and Nelly will go to Córdoba to the Arrival training. It will take us 6 hours to get there, but I am quite sure it will be worth the experience! For now, I am expecting for Nelly to walk into the office any minute, since her flight landed this afternoon!


 ¡Hasta luego!


 Iris



The office view!

¨Welcome Iris Diender¨